Wednesday 15 October 2008

Congreso de los Diputados



Yesterdays photograph talked about the Equality demonstration made in front of the Congreso de los Diputados (the Parliament building)... I realize that I was not telling anything about this emblematic Madrid building so...


The Congreso de los Diputados Building, has a neoclassical style. It was designed by the architect Narcisco Pascual y Colomer, and built between 1843 and 1850. It sits by the Carrera de San Jerónimo (San Jeronimo Street) downtown Madrid where before was the holly spirit convent. Just one more thing the bronze Lion you see, are two one on each side of the acess stairs to the building, is the work of the sculptor Ponciano Ponzano and made in the Maestranza de Sevilla in 1866 from the enemy canons of the 1860 war in Africa...


To know more...

19 comments:

Louis la Vache said...

Another fine image of the beautiful architecture of Madrid. Thank you for sharing these images with those of us who cannot see them in person!

Unknown said...

Your perspective of the Congresso is just awesome! Nice work!
I'm with the demonstrators too!

Olivier said...

prise de vue originale, le lion est magnifique

original shooting, the lion is beautiful

marie6 said...

What magnificent architecture! Yesterday I was walking round Valletta, our capital city and realised just how beautiful most of the buildings are. Will be posting photos of these buildings next week.

Thanks for your visit!

Mariposa said...

beautiful. I love how blue the sky is =)

Maria Verivaki said...

this should be called the parthenon of the acropolis in its complete form!

Rob said...

I like this idea, recycle war materials into works of art!

Profile Not Available said...

I haven't been by in a few days, and I have been getting caught up on your posts...you really do such a wonderful job showcasing the architecture of your city. You capture each building's details so beautifully!

EG CameraGirl said...

It's a beautiful building and I like the angle you took the photo from.

Anonymous said...

This is one magnificent building! I love the architectural and hope to see them in person.

Petrea Burchard said...

A lot of people are using the word "magnificent." Not fair! I wanted to use that word! What a gorgeous city you live in, Tr3nta!

Uma por Dia said...

Wonderful angle :)

magiceye said...

awessome!!!!

PJ said...

I know how impressed I m just looking at the photograph, to be there in person must be sublime. It's gorgeous.

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Splendid! I loved the picture! It surely is an impressive building!

The Lion with its paw on the globe is a sure sign of undisputed power! Amazing architecture!

Cheers!

Rakesh
http://almostsunday.blogspot.com

Hilda said...

Another fabulous shot of a magnificent building! And I like that little tidbit about the enemy canons — very peaceful ending to weapons.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Extraordinarily beautiful building and a great angle.

Unknown said...

Hi,
Thank You for viewing my blog.
Well, for your info..the colour building in my picture is multi car parking.
Hey man..What happening there I mean the demo.
Have a nice day.

Greyhound Girl said...

Wow- interesting history of such a gran building. I live this perspective too.